5 Boro PicNYC is happy to announce its most recent roster of NYC chefs who will participate in “the official start of summer” on Governors Island Memorial Day weekend, May 26 and 27, from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Chefs that will be grilling or competing in the food cook-offs include:
- Slow Food NYC Taco Challenge featuring tacos made with Queens-based Tortilleria Nixtamal; will include Laurence Edelman of Left Bank, Marc Meyer (Five Points), with others TBA;
- Fossil Farms Sausage Pavilion will sponsor a wild game sausage cook-off with Ian Kapitan (Alobar), Peels’ Jason DeBriere, William Kooper (Carlton Park), and Humberto Guallpa of Vandaag;
- Jarlsberg’s Grilled Cheese Cook-Off with 5+ competing chefs—including Neil Cane of Big Food and NY Hand Made Breads;
- Rooftop garden salads by Growing Chefs and Brooklyn Grange;
- Select chefs from the “5 Boros”: Representatives from Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and Staten Island to include Lucky 777 Chili, Jimmy’s No. 43, Green Brown Orange, Deep River Snacks, and Suspenders Restaurant (samples guaranteed until 2 p.m.), in addition to food available for purchase from The Fat Beagle NYC, Red Hook Lobster, Wooly’s Ice, Ven Leeuwen, and Luke’s Lobster.
Staged at the tree-lined Colonel’s Row, 5 Boro PicNYC will showcase craft beer from Sixpoint and a Hot Sauce & Blues Music Festival. Bands playing over the course of two days have been assembled by music industry insider Steve Seabury of High River Sauces. Jamming out blues will be Alec Gross; Tomcat & The Whisky Rats; Kirsten Thien; The Suit, Tyree & Thurrsty; Brooklyn Blues Project; and others TBA.