Congratulations to all our amazing chefs and food vendors for a perfect two-day PicNYC! The weather threatened a bit, but we managed to escape rain during the festivities. The results were tasty, indeed. Our esteemed judges awarded several chefs with prizes, including:
- First place – Vandaag with Chef Humberto Guallpa’s Boudin Blanc Sausage,
- Second place – Jason Debriere of Peels with a House-made Kielbasa;
- Third place – Vandaag’s Blood Sausage;
- Honorary Mention – Alobar’s Ian Kapitan for cooking under unrelenting fire in the midst of battle (and returning on Sunday in spite of transportation issues).
Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Cook-Off
- Chrissy’s Cooking Club – The OMG Grilled Cheese put together by the students of the Bushwick Campus Farm.
Slow Food NYC Taco Challenge
- Left Bank (Laurence Edelman)
Zagat’s Special Awards
- Best Meat and Vegetarian Sandwiches: Jimmy’s No. 43 Bahn Mi. Both the vegetarian (tofu curry) and meat (ground pork simmered with fish sauce and lemongrass) were packed with flavor and delivered a refreshing crunch of pickled vegetables;
- Best spicy sauages: Alobar (Ian Kapitan) – thin, minty lamb merguez topped with cucumber yogurt sauce, and fat, spicy Bison topped with corn and chile salsas;
- Best Improvising: Chrissy’s Cooking Club – Homegrown vegetables in grilled cheese sandwiches brushed with garlic scape butter.
- Favorite Beers: Sixpoint Righteous Rye and The Crisp.
- The judges gave a “shout out” award to Jimmy’s No. 43′s grilled flank steak with chimichurri sauce.
Thank you to all our judges, chefs, food vendors and volunteers for our best Governors Island event thus far. We’ll see you at Cook-Out NYC on July 7th-8th.