The beauty of tree-lined Colonel’s Row on Governors Island will offer a great location to picnic with friends and family when 5 Boro PicNYC brings together great craft beer, fabulous live blues bands, and amazing chefs from all five boroughs grilling up their favorites Memorial Day weekend, May 26 and 27, from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Some of the chefs you’ll have the chance to meet include:
- Jason DeBriere of Peels: Formerly with Jonathan Waxman, Jason will be grilling some of his home-smoked sausage;
- Steve Seabury (Mosh Potatoes) will be curating the Hot Sauce & Blues Music Festival, featuring a half-dozen blues bands and hot sauce tastings from his own award-winning High River Sauces, NYC Hot Sauce, Sol Sauce, and others TBA;
- Ian Kapitan of Alobar: This Canadian chef brings the best practices to Long Island City, where he frequently offers free pig butchering demos along with making his own charcuterie.
- Other renown chefs include William Kooper (Carlton Park), Laurence Edelman of Left Bank, Neil Cane and Ray Farrugia representing BigFood, and Humberto Guallpa of Vandaag;
- Select chefs from the “5 Boros”: Representatives from Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and Staten Island to include Lucky 777 Chili, Jimmy’s No. 43, Green Brown Orange, Deep River Snacks, and Suspenders Restaurant (samples guaranteed until 2 p.m.), in addition to food available for purchase from The Fat Beagle NYC, Red Hook Lobster, Wooly’s Ice, Ven Leeuwen, and Luke’s Lobster.
Rather than a “mega-festival,” 5 Boro PicNYC is the perfect place to mingle with cooking professionals, family and friends, all while enjoying craft beer from Sixpoint, activities for all ages, and a general “laid back” vibe that makes the summer events at Governors Island a delight to return to year after year.