The fifth annual Pig Island returns to Red Hook, Brooklyn, on Saturday, September 6th from 11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Pig Island showcases the best of New York State local farmers, chefs, brewers, cider makers, and vintners all dedicated to bringing home the bacon! This year we are teaming with Flying Pigs Farms to pair NY State hogs with NYC chefs to bring the best pork fest ever. Among the chefs/dishes are:
- Chef Joe Dobias returns with Garlic Pork Cemita, garnished with green salsa and queso fresco
- Sam Barbieri (Waterfront Ale House and Fuhgeddaboutit BBQ) will offer up whole hog sliders with crisp pork belly and mustard slaw
- Ben Schneider (The Good Fork) and St. John Frizell (Fort Defiance) will team to spit-roast a whole pig
- Danny Mena and Ethan Smith of Hecho en Dumbo will serve Volcanes de Chorizo Casero: Crisp corn tostadas topped with molten queso Chihuahua with Chorizo (either a green sausage made with chile jalapeno and cilantro or a red with cinnamon and chile piquin) topped with Chicharron, fried crisp pork rinds
- Billy Durney and Shane McBride of Hometown BBQ and Balthazar making Carribean jerk bao and Cochon au lait bao
- Martin Høedholt and Pablo Ventura of Revolving Dansk and Dassara Ramen will cook up two dishes: 1. Danish-Asian crackling pork, topped with red cabbage and sweet Scandinavian pickles on a toasted baguette; 2. Copenhagen Street Dog, a mini grillpølser with danish remoulade, crispy fried onions, and salty Lakrids
- Jimmy’s No. 43’s Davide Navarro will cook Cochinita Pibil, a traditional Mexican slow-roasted pork dish from the Yucatán Península
- Peter Giannakas of Ovelia will cook Kontosouvli (a Greek-style spit-roasted pork)
- Thomas Perone of Thomas Joseph Catering has two dishes planned: 1. Italian Spring Rolls with Roast Pork, Broccoli Rabe, and Provolone-Horseradish Mayo; 2. Roast Pork Sliders with a Lime Chimmichurri.
- Chef Jesse Jones Pulled will serve pork strudel with pickles and sweet Hannah’s BBQ sauce
- Plus Katy Sparks (Tavern on the Green), Michael Jenkins (Butter), Paul Neuman (Neuman’s Kitchen), Shanna Pacifico (Pacifico’s Fine Foods), Matt Deliso (Blue Ribbon Bakery), Christophe Hille (Fleisher’s Meats), William Cooper (Route 66 Smokehouse), Tim Cavaretta and Isabelle Leighton (Bittergreen),Chris Rendell (Finder’s Lane), Jon Bratton (NYC Hot Sauce) teaming with Justin Brunwasser (Friedman’s Lunch), Bill Fletcher (Fletcher’s Brooklyn Barbecue), Jared Male (Randall’s Barbecue), and others TBA.
Plus, great local specialty brews from Sixpoint Craft Ales, hard cider from the Hudson Valley, wine from the Finger Lakes region, live music, cooking demos courtesy of sponsor WÜSTHOF, sun, family fun, and more. Pig Island is bringing a smokin’ good time to the Red Hook waterfront with a portion of proceeds going to benefit Added Value Farm.
The venue is located at Erie Basin Park (1 Beard Street, Brooklyn), with easy access via public transit in Brooklyn or NY Water Taxi from Lower Manhattan. Tickets and additional information can be found here.